Serverfiles are getting abused.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by EdHunter, Jul 22, 2017.

1. EdHunter

EdHunter Member

There are posts in this Forum like “removing zombies“, removing blur when shooting“, “increase weaponspawn“, “lock vehicles“, remove this“, “lock everything“, blablabla.
    Think of the next 2-3'months. Will there be a original desoserver? With population? I think you know what i mean, when we think of exile or epo...sorry.....overpoch. maybe you should think about to not releasing the future serverfiles.
    on this point, origins has done the right thing. Many server with “origins“. And that is what we want when we play a mod with it's name. We we want to join a server with “Desolation Redux“, and not “overxilepoch redux“.

storoj22 likes this.
  2. storoj22

storoj22 New Member

^this. Otherwise the future of this mod is the same that of Exile: the only populated servers are the ones with "HIGH LOOT / MILITARIZED / REVIVE / SPAWN AT BASE". Ppl will always stick with the easy mode servers and the true vanilla Redux will vanish the same way the original arma 2 dayz did.

3. GhostHomer

GhostHomer Active Member

I'm sure there will be some good old hardcore guys that will run vanilla or close to vanilla servers (maybe adding a few mods), to keep the experience.
    But yes there will be more PVP minded servers that will grow closer to other mods that we already know.

4. Hololand

Hololand Developer Staff Member

Must admit you have a point here, Whilst we wan't to keep desolation redux as open source and up for change as we can. There do come some issues with that. Primarily being the "exile effect" where players initially love the mod but as soon as those easy insta win servers get released, players flock to those servers for about a couple of months. and once they have hit endgame a few times they leave never to return to the mod again. I think a large part of the longevity of origins was down to the fact that there were no easy win servers and players actually had to sit there and work and grind to achieve endgame. And that draw and mystery of what endgame was is what kept players playing. These "high loot pay 2 win spawn at base with a thermal as50 and ghillie suit" servers really spoil that and ultimately kill the longevity of a mod.
    Whilst we want to keep this mod as open source as possible I will certianly raise this with the rest of the dev team and see if we can work out some kind of solution without limiting peoples access to the mod. I am open to suggestions too.

storoj22 likes this.
  5. Legodev

Legodev Developer Staff Member

I have some crazy hive based ideas for the list of the officials servers, basically an feature large community will want to use, that will not work on non official servers, since it will require to call an api hosted on our website to get important informations.

Since i don't plan to use certificate pinning it is possible for everyone to simple override the domainname in the hosts file, to redirect all request to another side, so in theory everyone could use this feature, but it will be a pain. :D

mr bullet likes this.
  6. mr bullet

mr bullet New Member

I agree that servers with all flashing lights and frills will always draw certain players but those types of players are usual just casual ones , however i do feel there is still a good crowd of hardcore players that love the grind but i do feel it should stay open source as i feel there is a place missing for limited overpoch deso redux type servers as well as the original deso redux in arma 3 . But there im probably bias as currently working on a few plugins at the moment . Just my two pence worth.

This sounds like a fantastic idea imo , The official tag is a definite draw to a player base and even casual players often look for the safety of knowing they are playing on a sanctioned server , I would say though that i feel the grade to gain such a classification should be stringent .

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2017
  7. Legodev

Legodev Developer Staff Member

the rules to get official are already defined and might get expanded if needed.

mr bullet likes this.
  8. CoftSock

CoftSock New Member

Hey ive kept my server vanilla and havent:
    • Gave a streamer admin powers and/or gear
    • Admin abused
    • Put 88 military bases on the map
    • Put xtra fps in my server title
    • Run a Pay2Win scheme
    • made it daytime always
    People will play what they wanna play and if the base (vanilla) files are up to scratch im happy

martuk66 and mr bullet like this.
  9. Mike

Mike Developer Staff Member

imo running a server as an admin you need to have a hands off approach when it comes to modifying gameplay for players, making it easy or helping them with little things will only spoil them ect. I ran my exile server with a no bullshit no crying mentality and it was huge for months, not something we can so easily do with an entire mod but we can atleast provide very balanced server files in the future and to change any of it would just make a server feel worse, this is the hardest part of any game making, balancing everything has to be done perfectly and if we can achieve that balance it would be detrimental to change the core experience and other small things

storoj22 likes this.
  10. clarkycal

clarkycal Active Member

i completely agree with the OP, the loot is kinda a hard for a reason, zombies are there for a reason, the realism is there for a reason, i mean sure take all those out and while your at it uninstall desolation :D

storoj22 likes this.
  11. Looter

Looter New Member

Hardcore settings best settings. F*ck high loot. Loot should be more rare imo..

storoj22 and EdHunter like this.
  12. BetterDeadThanZed

BetterDeadThanZed Member

I have a lot of people telling me I should add this mod, or that mod and I keep telling them I'm trying to keep it as vanilla as I can. I'm trying to trust in the devs to give us great new content so we don't have to change a thing! Hell, I don't even have an admin tool on my server so the temptation isn't there to spawn something and if people cry that they lost something, oh well. :)

13. Desjardinii

Desjardinii New Member

That's exactly the thing. I had a few people who wanted me to add some weapons packs, and then they saw what was going on and were like...OK looks great.

14. bsmaff

bsmaff New Member

Some people though build servers just for there clan to play on and adjust the server to how they like to play.

On my server I have increased the night cycle, so it is dark longer.
    I removed the blur when shooting as no one I play with liked it.
    I have also changed the Earphones setting to have 4 settings than 3, just so we can hear each other better in TS.
    As for mods though, I have only added Repelling from buildings.

Everything else is Vanilla, and I will keep it that way.

But a few people have joined the server and requested AI and missions to be added, but I certainly don't want this as it takes away the point of the game in the first place, just like DayZ was ruined IMO when missions were released.