Lack of Alpha tester spirit

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by GhostHomer, Apr 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GhostHomer

GhostHomer Active Member

I'm sorry for the complain, or bitching or whatever it may be called. But since we are alpha testers I think that a bit of spirit or common sense should exist. And this is the opposite of it, blocking buildings and hoarding vehicles. I know that wipes will happen, but it's something that in my opinion is wrong. I'm pretty sure that when Desolation is release blocking (this kind of) buildings won't be allowed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ki113r likes this.
  2. ki113r

ki113r New Member

Agree. I hope building near cities and military outposts shouldn't be allowed.

3. RobSly

RobSly Supporter

This is actually cool and dangerous. If someone has enough time to build on a military base (due to lack of players on alpha?) then good for them. When the mod is released and there are high population servers, people who can do this should be rewarded as to how dangerous it actually is. Just my opinion though.

Jeanmat likes this.
  4. ki113r

ki113r New Member

not true. If you have a group with 5 ou 6 players you can build 4 walls to block the hangar. Its a dangerous place, and they will die some times. But have a tower (with 3rd person) to the airfield they will kill much more people than die, its an unfair advantage.
    and.. i think the houses and walls will be indestructible so its not nice to immersion. its easy to block one hangar, join material and block all the hangars and all the barracks. if the server will have so much people one day everyone will block one military building, so to new players will be
    frustrating to get some good loot

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  5. RobSly

RobSly Supporter

I suppose that's also true, I think the option should be left up to the server host when it goes public. This would be great for our RP server where a faction could take control of the military areas and sell weapons etc etc. People tried to do that in DayZ SA roleplay servers but obviously you couldn't control it.

6. GhostHomer

GhostHomer Active Member

I'm not even speaking about when the servers go up. The title of the topic says it all. Right now while testers we want to try out the most features of the mods and the updates when they come out.

7. BigBen

BigBen Developer Staff Member

It does block aircraft spawns..

8. Nex

Nex Developer Staff Member

For now go collect grenades. :D If you can find any lol

9. Kegan

Kegan Developer Staff Member

I understand that blocking off areas would make testing more difficult for newer testers.

Its not as if they are blocking huge groups of areas off, just one hanger. The walls and tower walls do not protect from high caliber shots so 5.56 and 7.62 rounds will easily damage anyone attempting to kill people from there. This isn't a huge advantage for those who build their bases there. It is a huge disadvantage. The buildings used for bases are very basic, so:
    1. Bases are not useful for small arms protection
    2. Bases are not useful as a general purpose deterrent
    3. Bases protect gear, not people
    These people who build their bases in very high traffic areas are opening themselves up to a lot of risks. Sure it may provide some decent loot, but it is not loot that couldn't be collected in other places. They are not cutting off 100% of military loot locations off from access.

This is why i don't see bases like this being a problem

10. GhostHomer

GhostHomer Active Member

If in the future bases like this are allowed (blocking of important buildings) all it takes is a larger group to ruin a server.
    But thats in the future. Right now we are testers and there is already a group in the server killing on sight for example, I don't see the point in that. People don't have all day to be online, and being testers I thing we should help each other (like some people helped us and we helped them), so we can try to build and test as many features as possible.
    If I want to "test" ballistics and PVP in Arma I would join a Wasteland or a KOTH, not Desolation

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  11. ki113r

ki113r New Member

So if i understood right, the important its not skill, its not strategy, is to be quick.
    The bases cant be destroyed, so the first one who block all the barracks gets all the loot?
    he can die cause the high traffic area but thats no problem cause he will have unlimited loot spawn on a barrack, just loot and reconnect after a while, and the other players have to try their luck on heli crashs... if... someone dont block the heli crashs spots...

12. Nex

Nex Developer Staff Member

@ki113r Redux is also in pre-alpha with one server and to mention many systems such as raiding have not been implemented.

13. Hololand

Hololand Developer Staff Member

Late to the discussions as usual. But I think decisions like this should be left to the server owner. I also think there should be incentive for players to start with a simple house rather than Trumps wall surrounding a 500 meter section of land. Perhaps only allow wall placement after you have a house down?

14. Legodev

Legodev Developer Staff Member

Personally i am against walls at all, but i agree walls need to be much harder to build and need things (like in origins the excavator) to build, so that you are forced to build an house to store your stuff before building walls.

So i think walls should only be build able once you are also able to build an bartender house, so be an final stage of the base, and then also only when its close to your base. So you cannot build 500m away from your base, but building an base with the size of 1km x 1km would be possible, since it only has to be close to the base of your team.

Because such an rule is possible once i changed the database connector back to my original idea, which i had to remove because i explained it wrong to the team. In the Database there will be teams instead of an casual friend list, but that we have an team/group in database does not mean that we will not include an group system ingame!

An Pluginwriter could use this system to create an group system like some people want, but we will not include an such an system.

15. Hololand

Perhaps different tiers of walls would be good method of balancing. Low tier walls could be used after placing your first house. However to get the best of the best walls you need a level 3 hours and a bulldozer. (I am a big fan of the bulldozer system)

16. Hololand

Alternatively making wall costly could be a good method of balancing.

17. Igorzilla666

Igorzilla666 Member

How to climb over walls? Which command or button?
    Can I clim on lower buidings like with Advanced movement?

18. BigBen

BigBen Developer Staff Member

Should be V. You can only climb things that you would be able to reach, so no climbing high walls, no climbing onto houses.

Igorzilla666 likes this.
  19. Igorzilla666

Igorzilla666 Member

Darn! Im used to climb on lower portions of small houses

20. Zero Cool

Zero Cool New Member

Most arma servers with base building forbid this exact thing for obvious reasons. lol Whats the average server pop on the test server? I'm just curious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.