DevBLOG #28 First blog since Pre-Alpha

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by BigBen, Mar 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigBen

BigBen Developer Staff Member

Wow, can't believe it's been over a month since the last real DevBLOG. So much has gone on with REDUX since then. First off, StokesMagee has left the dev team after seeing us to Pre-Alpha. Stokes joined to assist us with zombies, and ended up becoming an integral part of DR. He has moved on to finish a project he and a couple friends have been itching to finish for some time, and we wish him luck. On that note, please welcome a new addition to the team, The KnightTemplar. Knight initially jumped in and helped the team fix some of the early pre-alpha bugs, but quickly moved on to some very promising things as you will see below. More assets have been created and added in game, along with a host of sounds, animations, and UI detail. This weekends update will bring a bunch of major changes, and hopefully breath new life into the testing phase. No more rambling. Here is the latest DesolationREDUX DevBLOG.

P.S. We have added a Patreon for donations. For those of you that wanted to donate to the cause, you can do so here.

Kegan

When pre-alpha started, it was obvious that we needed to make some major changes to a few of the important systems. Since then, I have started work on overhauling the Zombie brain, the crafting and building system, and the action system.

The zombie brain is still a work in progress. It is part of a complete zombie overhaul that will see new skins, new animations, new sounds, new behavior, and best of all, the possibility for thousands of zombies. Yes, thousands of zombies. This is possible by the way we spawn in, cache, and manage the zombies on the server. Our zombies are persistent, and spawned upon restart. This means if there are 1000 zombies on restart, and you kill one, there will only be 999 zombies until the next restart. I won't go into detail until the system is finished, but it is coming along nicely. I flesh out the system a bit better in the video below.

Crafting and Building System was patched up to fix the biggest issue we had during the start of pre-alpha. Objects and Building Previews killing players. This incoming patch addresses that issue, and drastically reduces the chance of getting injured or killed while placing objects. This will continue to get worked on, both on the placement, and physics side by myself and JMaster. Also added an escape option when placing objects/buildings that allows players to cancel placement.

I created a set of tools that work in combination with 3DEN editor. These tools, the Vehicle Spawn Location and Loot Spawn Location tools, can be used by server administrators to create custom spawn locations for vehicles and loot. This may be necessary for maps with custom buildings, buildings we have not set up, or to simply add your own custom locations to your server. Use of these tools is very easy and simple instructions are available within the server files and on the new Wiki.

Fixed bug that prevented users from entering the 3DEN editor when using our UI. Fixed the bug that prevented hunger and thirst from harming the players. Fixed multiple bugs with the melee system, which is now implemented and working with custom animations.

BIG NEWS, I have begun setting up the first Chernarus REDUX server. We will be using Chernarus for the second phase of pre-alpha testing. The server has a basic setup, and is running, but not available to the public yet as it still does not have loot or vehicle spawn locations created. You can see the server in the video below.

Chernarus server and Zombie preview

TheKnightTemplar

Hi folks, first devblog entry, so it may be kinda simple, but here it goes. Other than helping Kegan with bug fixes during pre-alpha, I have been spending a lot of time reworking the Action system. The Action system has seen a major UI overhaul, and a ton of new code. This action system was a big part of fixing the object and building placement issues, and also makes vehicle repair much easier.

The action system allows the player to perform a number of actions on any applicable object, these include vehicles, other players and lift-able objects including building parts. Current status is that vehicle actions are working - Remove, Replace, Repair and Refuel. Building parts can be lifted. The next thing to focus on is the player actions and then object actions such as filling gas cans. The actions able to be applied to other players will include applying bandages, blood bags and splints. Once everything is functional, the next step will be to tweak things like the icon targeting system

Vehicle repair icons
    [​IMG]

Wheel options and action menu UI
    [​IMG]

More options available, menu is easy to scale
    [​IMG]

JMaster

I've been working on implementing the building system using the physics object movement system. I've been working with Kegan and Templar on fixing issues with it. Additionally I am working on the helicrash loot system to allow for lootpiles instead of boxes.

I've started work on refactoring the Object Movement system (including building) to use the new VelocityModelspace commands introduced in the most recent Arma 3 update. This should allow for more options with a decreased script overhead.

I spent some time helping Kegan and Templar with Zombies and we've talked about some interesting possible future features which could create new unique situations for players. I've also helped Kegan with the plugginManager in regards to accessibility for modders and ease of use.

ANixon

I have been helping with zombie skins props and sounds. We have added a ton of new zombie skins, as well as some cool attachments. SonicSound has provided us with some great new zombie sounds, so I added those and configured them into the new zombies. Still a lot of work to do on those, but they are coming along very nicely.

A lot of time has been spent assisting Kegan and Knight with reworking the building system. I have done a lot of tweaking and reworking of the 3D models, adding new preview images, adjusting weight, geometry... It's been fun.

Added a ton of inventory item images for both A3 and REDUX items so you can now see what you have in your inventory, not just read it.

Added in and configured the melee animations. All melee animations are now in and working. Only hiccup being setting up the fishing system.

I redid the A2 SUV AGAIN. I think you all will enjoy this version very much. It now is a combination of the Arma 2 SUV, and the Take On Helicopters SUV with some custom textures added in. There is now more detail in the interior thanks to the TKOH model, and the same for the front bumper.

New zombie skins
    [​IMG]

Zombie props
    There are many more props to come so suggest away for what we should stab our zombies with - Nex

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

New SUV's
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Difference between A2 and TKOH SUV
    http://imgur.com/a/jkq95

BigBen and ANixon

Nixon and I have been working on a bunch of projects. First off are the new backpacks. We ported most of your favorite Arma 2 backpacks into REDUX.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    http://imgur.com/a/wgkAf

We also began work on porting in the Arma 2 animals. These animals will be re-textured, and their brain will be reworked so they respond to players better. This is a work in progress and in it's very early stages.

BigBen

I have been putting in a lot of work cleaning things up. Some of the textures on the weapons ports were a bit too bright. These have been cleaned up and darkened to give a more realistic look in game.

Lee Enfield darkened
    [​IMG]

I have also been working to fix a lot of the weapon hand animations. We needed custom ones for our own models, and a lot of the A2 hand animations just didn't fit well.

M24
    [​IMG]

Myself and LegoDev worked to start the DesolationREDUX Wiki. The wiki can be found here. I will update the wiki as I have time, but I think it will be an important resource for the community.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  2. BigBen

Nex

I worked on a couple projects since pre-alpha started. I finished up my SV-98 and handed it over to get configured. I also created the new tire repair kit for the vehicle repair system. As a bonus, I got my masks worked up and into game as well as a clown nose.

SV-98 w/ sight
    [​IMG]

Fixed hand animation
    [​IMG]

Tire repair kit
    [​IMG]

Mask 1
    [​IMG]

Slenderman
    [​IMG]

ImUnleasheD

I made a new sleeping bag and sleeping roll for the sleeping system. This needed to get done so it could be implemented alongside the physics object movement system.

[​IMG]

LegoDev

I have been very busy with support work as well as preparing for the 1.68 update. REDUX is now x64 compatible. I set up our new private Gitlab on our dedi. Along side it I set up the new wiki. Then we decided it was time to upgrade. After BigBen purchased the new machine, I began setting up everything from the original server onto the new one. I am also adding a bug tracker much like the one BI uses. We will be able to utilize this to report, organize, and task out bugs that need to be fixed.

Wiki page
    https://wiki.desolationredux.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

Bug Tracker (not implemented YET)
    http://feedback.desolationredux.com/

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  3. Lwis

Lwis Supporter

welcome Templar :) - & nice work all

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
    BigBen, ANixon and TheKnightTemplar like this.
  4. Austin Martin

Austin Martin Member

Very nice devblog, been waiting for one like this! Great job boys!

BigBen and ANixon like this.
  5. RangeCreed

RangeCreed New Member

SV98 :eek::eek::eek:

BigBen, ANixon and Nex like this.
  6. >X<

>X< Supporter

This just keeps getting better fellas...Thanks as always for your hard work!

BigBen and ANixon like this.
  7. HejQiu

HejQiu Moderator

Nice ;) SV :rolleyes:

BigBen, ANixon and Nex like this.
  8. Zero Cool

Zero Cool New Member

Nice work guys, I'm looking forward to playing this!

>X<, BigBen and ANixon like this.
  9. MrKingPol_

MrKingPol_ New Member

Waiting will payout... Great job guys and hello TheKnightTemplar! :)

BigBen, TheKnightTemplar and ANixon like this.
  10. Sh0rty77

Sh0rty77 New Member

This is looking amazing, im so pumped for DesolationRedux to release. With the action menu i think it would be cool to have a DayZ Standalone type medical system, so CPR, Blood Types and what not would be absolutely amazing ( you devs may have already thought about this but im unsure ). Overall looks amazing and welcome TheKnightTemplar! Keep it up!

-Shorty77

11. BigBen

Like the cpr idea. Got some ideas, but will talk with everyone else first.

TitusGroan likes this.
  12. GoStop442

GoStop442 New Member

Great work guys! Keept it goin! Will we see in future some tough zombies like a dr.ivan?

BigBen likes this.
  13. GhostHomer

GhostHomer Active Member

Great work fellas!

BigBen likes this.
  14. Igorzilla666

Igorzilla666 Member

Will zombies be like Ryans with proksimty aggro or more like Arma 2 where you can sneak past them?

15. Nex

Nex Developer Staff Member

We will be releasing our new zombies in the near future with all of the information so keep an eye out. But to add, you can sneak past them, just not easily.

TitusGroan likes this.
  16. ANixon

ANixon Active Member

TitusGroan likes this.
  17. ANixon

ANixon Active Member

We will look into different zombie types after we have the first iteration of the default zombies in. No promises though.

18. Rock'n'Roll

Rock'n'Roll Member

who's awesome? you awesome!
    and this zombie with hatchet and aspen stake its looks nice

ishootpaint likes this.
  19. TitusGroan

TitusGroan New Member

At the moment, all the zeds seem to be tough. They're running around like loonies. I'd personally like to see "walkers" that horde (danger in numbers) and a Dr I type to mix it up.

20. GhostHomer

GhostHomer Active Member

Zeds run when they agro a player, or towards gunfire.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.