AUS Player Count & Questions

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by MACOBEH, Jan 27, 2018.

1. MACOBEH

MACOBEH New Member

Any servers in Australia? Would really like to know so I don't buy Arma 3 for fuckall.

I really miss DayZ back in the day and after discovering this mod today because I was bored & searched Arma 3 Dayz, I found posts saying this is a mod that comes about just as close to what DayZ was.

Also thinking of getting a server going if all goes well.

I got a spare computer that I feel like setting up Arma3 server on, but I was wondering if it was possible on Linux, due to Linux having efficient resource and CPU usage.

Also I have a spare CPU lying around, it's an i5 3470, would that be able to handle a 50+ player count, since it's on a dedicated PC (not my personal one) and put like 20gb ram?

Also my internet connection is 25mbit up/down, would that suffice or cause lag (I'll be using ethernet, not wifi)

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  2. Legodev

Legodev Developer Staff Member

I guess the limiting factor about this would be the 25mbit internet speed. The cpu could be to slow too, but may handle 50 Players but totally not 50+!

If you know what you are doing and you worked with linux before (not only installed and used it, but really working) then the mods server does work on linux.

There where servers in Australia, but i don't know if they still exist. Anyway if you have no experience in how to debug arma stuff, then you should not host an desolation redux server, because getting the server working seems to be complicated for people.

3. MACOBEH

MACOBEH New Member

Is their a restriction on max players or is it no cap, also my main rig has an i7 3770k which I was thinking I might buy again because i can get one for cheap and it's more alligned for server use anyway.

I'm good with linux, good with Arma quirks and have deep knowledge in server hosting, I've hosted servers before no problem there.

4. Legodev

First you where talking about "i5 3470" now you talk about "i7 3770k" the i7 should support more players.

5. MACOBEH

MACOBEH New Member

Whats wrong with you and whats with the quotations around the processor names lol

You sound like a jerk, I simply stated I have a i7 3770k in my main rig and i might buy another one of them to use for my server instead of using my spare i5 3470, that hard to process champ?

6. Legodev

Ok to state this clear since you might have misunderstood what i said. While there is no software cap (you did not specify what kind of cap you mean!) of course there is a restriction on max players, and this restriction is your cpu. The faster the cpu the more players are possible. With an "i5 3470" you might support 50 players and with an "i7 3770k" you might get 60.

All i did was to answer your question, first you said you are going to have an "i5 3470" so i said you what i think what might be the max possible players, then you said you are maybe going to get an "i7 3770k" and all i did was to say that you will get support for more players with this cpu.

If you think i am a jerk, then i better be one and congratulate you, that you just have lost the only person who would have been really able to help you setting up the linux instance in this forum.

My teachers told me, whenever i quote stuff, i have to use quotations, so i use them. Since you seem not to like this, this is an additional point why i should stop answering this thread.

->
    So yeah normally i am not that kind of jerk, but i do not take insults! So good i wish good luck with what you plan to do.

7. MACOBEH

MACOBEH New Member

I can set it up myself thanks

8. MACOBEH

MACOBEH New Member

Does the server require dx9 ?

9. B.A.D.

B.A.D. New Member

WOW.

just.wow.

10. shane-uk

shane-uk Member

i think if you are unsure what is required to setup the server maybe you shouldn't host one at this time .....

11. Bojangles

Bojangles New Member

Just play on a US server, me and all my mates from NZ and AUS play on them with 250 ping and its absolutely fine